- This event has passed.
AIANY Architecture and the Lights of Gotham
October 22, 2019 @ 7:30 pm - 9:45 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:30 pm on Tuesday, repeating until October 29, 2019
Building on the successful ten-year collaboration between AIANY and Classic Harbor Line, this new architecture boat tour capitalizes on the remarkable skyline of Manhattan after sunset. From the time the Brooklyn Bridge was inaugurated with dazzling lights and fireworks in 1883, architects and lighting designers have understood the importance of presenting their structures in the night sky.
Today, “city that never sleeps” is stunningly illuminated more than ever. Today’s designers have a sophisticated array of sources, palette of colors and endless programs to run these lighting systems. Take to the waters with an expert AIANY guide to see the latest in how architects and lighting designers are creating a new, more dynamic nighttime experience. View the famously mesmerizing lights of Manhattan and explore the latest trends and innovations in edificial New York City lighting. There really is no better way to capture this view as the iconic NYC skyline reflects off the surrounding waters.
This two hour-and fifteen-minute narrated cruise will depart at sunset from Chelsea Piers in Manhattan and will include the Lower Hudson River, the Upper Bay and the East River. Prominent examples we will examine include the Statue of Liberty from 1886, the Woolworth Tower in 1913, the 1931 Empire State Building, and New York City’s latest supertall building, One World Trade Center.
Highlights, topics and themes of the AIANY tour include:
- Exploration of Architecture and Lighting principles.
- Insightful coverage of Manhattan’s classic spires, including the Empire State Building, 200 Eleventh Ave, Hudson Yards, Vessel, The Shed, 42nd St, Time Square, One World Observatory, United Nations, the Chrysler Building, American Copper & more.
- The Statue of Liberty, Central NJ Train Terminal, Ellis Island & Governors Island.
- NYC’s engineering masterpieces: the Brooklyn, the Veraz(z)ano Narrows Bridge, Manhattan Bridge & the Williamsburg Bridge.
- Up close views of Brooklyn gems: Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Pier House and Hotel, Jane’s Carousel & DUMBO.
- Other iconic sites such as the Domino Sugar and Park, Austin Nichols Warehouse, Gantry State Park South, LIC Library, the Pepsi Sign, Roosevelt Memorial and Small Pox Hospital.
- Chelsea Piers (Pier 62) – W. 22nd and Hudson River (Manhattan, NY)
- (Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.)
- Sept 10, 17, 24: 7:30pm-9:45pm;
- Oct 1, 8, 22, 29: 6:30pm-8:45pm