Posts tagged with "Zaha Hadid":
Tom Wiscombe Architecture beats out Zaha Hadid Architects and Gensler to redesign the L.A. billboard
One of the last designs from late British-Iraqi architect Zaha Hadid will be realized in New York. Working with developers The Moinian Group, Hadid and her firm Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) were commissioned more than a year ago to provide apartments and space for a "world-class" cultural institution at 220 Eleventh Avenue in West Chelsea, Manhattan.
“We must invest in cultural spaces—they are a vital component of a rich urban life and cityscape, they unite the city and tie the urban fabric together,” said Hadid in 2015.
Hadid's long-term colleague and Partner at ZHA Patrik Schumacher spoke of the firm's joy to be working in a city that played a big part in Hadid's life. “As the world celebrates Zaha’s remarkable legacy," he said in a press release, "we are delighted to be announcing her unique collaboration with The Moinian Group for New York, a city that greatly influenced her creative work.”
Hadid's design aims to evoke the loft-like residences that are commonplace in the Chelsea. A coterie of penthouse apartments and a cultural institution will also be embedded into the project. At the time of writing, The Moinian Group are in talks with institutions regarding residency at the site.
“We are deeply honored to develop one of Zaha’s final creations and cement her astonishing legacy forevermore here in Manhattan. She was a special woman and a friend who we all miss very much,” said Mitchell Moinian of The Moinian Group.
The Moinian Group's release mentions that Hadid visited New York many times and was able to develop an understanding of the city, its values and architectural heritage. As a result, the Group said, much of Manhattan's vernacular typologies and the area's way of life have formed her design and approach for 220 Eleventh Avenue.
Set to break ground at the start of next year, sales for housing units are currently in line to begin toward the end of 2017. Images of the project have not yet been revealed but you can find images of her other New York project on the High Line here.
- Raphaela Platow—Director & Chief Curator, Contemporary Arts Center
- Michael McInturf—Interim Director, School of Architecture & Interior Design, DAAP
- Heather Wehby—AIA Cincinnati Equity in Architecture committee & Architect, Emersion Design
- Robert Benson—Professor Emeritus, Architecture & Interior Design, Miami University
- Richard Rosenthal—Arts Philanthropist, Name Donor of Lois and Richard Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art
- Mark Stedtefeld—Architect and Principal, Emersion Design
- Patricia Kucker—Associate Dean, Faculty & Academic Affairs, DAAP
- Christoph Klemmt—Assistant Professor, Architecture & Interior Design, DAAP and former designer with Zaha Hadid Architects