Coney Island is getting a new boutique hotel inside the historic Shore Theater, a 1920s building that has long suffered from neglect. NY1 reported that developer PYE Properties has proposed a massive renovation for the seven-story structure. Though the building has been vacant since 1978, it used to be a highly-popular entertainment venue, housing vaudeville shows and film screenings inside its 2,472-seat auditorium. The site received landmark status in 2010 but is currently hidden under a thick layer of scaffolding due to the threat of loose bricks and glass that have fallen in recent years. During Hurricane Sandy, the building’s historic “Shore” blade sign was badly damaged and subsequently removed. After decades of deterioration, the city has sought ways to bring the crumbling structure back to life. After PYE Properties’ $14-million purchase in 2016, it looks like the once-beloved building will be reborn. The developer plans to turn the theater into a seaside hospitality haven. It will feature around 50 rooms, a banquet hall, a year-round multicultural spa, a rooftop restaurant and lounge, as well as a ground-floor café and retail space spread across over 70,000 square feet. Renderings of the building’s new design have not been released yet, but the developers said that they will work with the city to preserve the theater’s original facade. Set on the corner of Surf and Stillwell Avenues—across from the Nathan’s Famous outpost and the highly-trafficked Coney Island subway stop—the hotel will likely receive ample attention from visiting tourists and curious locals alike. According to NY1, PYE Properties said the project will undergo two years of construction with a grand opening anticipated for 2021. Stay tuned for more information regarding the project’s design, which will likely go through reviews with the city council and the city's landmarks commission before being finalized.
Posts tagged with "Shore Theater":
With snowpocalypse about to descend on the city, summer feels a long way away. But there is cause for sun-soaked celebration today, as the Landmarks Preservation commission calendared the Shore Theater, the first step in the public review process to make the building an official city landmark. The calendaring is actually the first fruits to bear from the Bloomberg administration's 13th hour deal with developer Joe Sitt. It will be months before amusements return to a saved Coney Island, but a major negotiating point for the community—and the amusement community in particular—was more landmarks in Coney to protect the area's historic buildings from the flood of development the city's rezoning hopes to create. So far, there are no other buildings in the docket besides the 1920s theater-and-hotel building, though, which could be cause for concern—especially after the area's oldest building recently suffered water damage. Still, after decades of deterioration, any progress is good. In other landmarks news... The commission also calendared today the Gramercy House and the Addisleigh Park Historic District. The former is an apartment building on East 22nd Street designed by Edward and Charles Blum in 1929 and completed in 1931. The building, according to the commission report, boasts "textured brickwork, contrasting base and striking polychrome terra cotta trim." Meanwhile, the latest proposed historic district (the 101st?) is located in Queens and comprised of 426 buildings, the St. Albans Congregational church and its campus, and 11 acres of St. Albans Park. Many of the buildings date from the 1910s to 1930s, and according to this page on the Historic Districts Council's website, the area was an enclave in the 1950s for the city's well-to-do blacks, including Jackie Robinson, W.E.B. DuBois, Count Basie, Joe Louis, and Ella Fitzgerald, among other notables. Here's a map of the area, and you can see it in GoogleMaps here. Finally, the commission voted in favor of two new landmarks today. The Penn Club, formerly the Yale Club, is located on 44th Street between 5th and 6th avenues, near a clutch of other robber baron-era clubhouses. The 11-story building was completed in 1901 on commission from Yale, with designs by two Yalies and McKim, Mead, & White alums, Evarts Tracy and Egerton Swartwout. The building was later acquired by Penn. The other new landmarks is the 143 Allen Street House, which was built around 1830 for ship captain George Sutton, a time, as the commission report notes, "when the Lower East Side was a fashionable residential district." And so the circle is complete. These two buildings also had hearings the same day as Paul Rudolph's 23 Beekman Place, so it's quite possible that building could be coming up for a vote in the near future as well.