Posts tagged with "Boston Society of Architects":
Four Boston-based firms have been shortlisted for this year’s Harleston Parker Medal. Awarded by the Boston Society of Architects (BSA), the winner will be recognized for designing the “the single most beautiful building or other structure” erected in Boston in the past decade.
In the running for 2017: Höweler + Yoon, Jonathan Levi Architects, William Rawn Associates, and Payette. Now in its 96th edition, this year’s jury is led by Yugon Kim, founding owner and partner of IKD, as well as associate and director at TSKP Studio. Kim enlisted ten professionals from Boston that specialize a variety of disciplines, covering urban planning, design, architecture, and media, notably including Dante Ramos, ideas editor at The Boston Globe and principal of Boston firm, CBT Architects, Kishore Varanasi.The finalists and their respective shortlisted projects are listed here, in no particular order: Boston Public Library, Central Library Renovation Project (Transformation of the Johnson Wing) William Rawn Associates Collier Memorial Höweler + Yoon Read more about this project here. Field Elementary School Jonathan Levi Architects Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex Payette
The Harleston Parker Medal award was established in 1921 by J. Harleston Parker after his father. The BSA awarded the first medal in 1923 partnership with the Boston chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Last year, Dutch studio Mecanoo and the Boston office of Sasaki were awarded the medal for their Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building. Other previous winners include Renzo Piano Building Workshop who worked with Stance on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum addition and Foster + Partners with CBT Architects who designed the Museum of Fine Arts and the Boston Art of the Americas Wing.
The winner of the medal is to be announced on Thursday January 18 next year at the seventh BSA Design Awards Gala.
The full jury is listed below:
- Yugon Kim, founding owner and partner, IKD; associate and director, TSKP Architects Boston
- Karin Goodfellow, director, Boston Art Commission
- Cynthia Smith FASLA, vice president and principal, Halvorson Design Partnership
- Anne-Sophie Divenyi AIA, senior capital project manager, Harvard University, Office of Physical Resources and Planning
- Malia Lazu, president, EpiCenter Community
- Lee Moreau AIA, principal, Continuum
- Alexa Pinard, urban designer, Boston Planning & Development Authority
- Dante Ramos, Ideas editor, The Boston Globe
- Kishore Varanasi, principal, CBT Architects
- Richard A. Yeager AIA, assistant director of planning and design, Boston College
- Benjamin Ball, Ball-Nogues Studio (Los Angeles, CA)
- Shauna Gilles-Smith, Ground (Boston, MA)
- Monica Ponce de Leon, MPdL Studio (Ann Arbor, MI; New York, NY; Boston, MA)
- Jenny Sabin, Jenny Sabin Studio (Philadelphia, PA)
- J. Frano Violich, Kennedy Violich Architecture, Ltd. (Boston, MA)