The Department of Undergraduate Architecture in the School of Architecture at Pratt Institute, invites nominations and applications for the position of Assistant Chairperson for Undergraduate Architecture to begin Fall 2018. With more than 125 full and part-time faculty members, the Undergraduate Architecture program serves a student body of 630 and awards the Bachelor of Architecture degree. Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, and information science, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
The Assistant Chair reports directly to the Chair and will be expected to assist with the daily operations of the department as well as with the development, implementation and management of the academic administration to support and improve the educational life of the students, faculty and staff. This administrative appointment, scheduled to begin Fall 2018 carries a twelve-month per year workload and a three-year contract that may be renewed.
- Assist Chairperson with recruitment, selection and retention of faculty and staff.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Participate in and assist in overseeing program accreditation.
- Manage and execute staff appointments and workloads
- Manage and assist with Departmental publications.
- Manage and assist with social media promotion and marketing
- Perform all other related activities and carry out special projects as required
- Participate in curriculum coordination and program development. Review curricular proposals and modifications to ensure uniformity across section, course sequencing, etc.
- Coordinate various end-of-semester, mid-program and end-of-degree reviews as well as assist with internal and external exhibition events.
SALARY is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We require a Master's degree in Architecture or in a related field. Applicants should have administrative experience, preferably in higher education, undergraduate teaching experience, demonstrated leadership ability, excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills, and recognized standing in the field. A demonstrated level of inter-cultural competence and ability to work well with diverse populations is also essential.
The successful candidates will demonstrate expertise in the practice and education of architecture design. Excellent organizational, communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop rapport with a diverse faculty and student body are required.
Please submit your c.v., cover letter and the contact information for three professional references. Please apply via our online application system at https://tinyurl.com/yd9zcyk2
The deadline for all applications is September 14th.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE