Have you ever walked by a new construction site and wondered what’s being built? Spotted a striking storefront and wanted to know who designed it? Perhaps you’d be alarmed to discover your favorite park is at risk?
At The Architect’s Newspaper (AN), we’re obsessed with covering the most important stories on the built environment, whether it’s a mega project or a thoughtful change to a small plaza. Now you can discover our articles based on your location at any given moment. AN has partnered with Hoverpin, a free app that helps users find new people, places, and events, to make this possible.
Here’s how it works:
- Open Facebook’s Messenger app on your phone. (If you don’t have an iPhone, Messenger is free to download. The app requires you to have a Facebook account.)
- In the “Search” bar at the top, type “The Architect’s Newspaper.”
- AN’s blue, circular icon should appear—click on it.
- Tap “Get Started” for a quick tour, then click “Explore.”
- Select “Your location”—you’ll be asked to send your location. You can adjust your pin on the map if you like. Tap the small, blue arrow once you’re ready.
After you send your location, a number of articles will appear, each one relating to a site near you. Each “pin” links to the full article on AN’s website. You can also view the project’s exact location on a map or share the story others.
Curious about a specific city? Just tap “Send a message” then enter the city’s name (e.g. Philadelphia). We have over 250 articles available on this Messenger app, so while not every location will have relevant articles, our database grows every day. (A note to our international readers—at the moment, our pins are primarily in the U.S.)
Want to explore our archive on your desktop? Visit the Messenger app’s desktop version and repeat the steps above; the “Search” bar is at the top left of the page and features a small magnifying glass icon. You can also find all of our “pins” on this easy-to-navigate map.
If you’d like to send a regular message through the app, just tap “Contact Us” and we’ll respond as quickly as possible.
Have questions or comments? Please let us know below or email info[at]archpaper.com!