Lincoln Park Apple Store
1801 West North Avenue
Designer: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson with Hoerr Schaudt
Taking a cue from its earlier venture, Apple has opened its second store within Chicago city limits on what is perhaps the Michigan Avenue for locals: the North Avenue shopping corridor in Lincoln Park. Apple takes center stage with its architecturally ambitious new building on the triangular site of the North/Clybourn Red Line L station, which they also invested millions in renovating. A new outdoor plaza, the site’s strongest design element, divides the station from the store. Designed by Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects, the plaza is bordered by three raised planters, and Bertoia side chairs and small round cafe tables surround a fountain sitting at grade. The cumulative effect feels worthy of a museum sculpture garden.
The building itself, clad in brushed metal panels, sits on a north/south orientation, with glass walls and entrances at each end and a third facing west into the shared plaza with the El. If customers tear their eyes away from the products and look up into the soaring room, they’ll find a massive skylight running the length of the building that fills the space with natural light. What they won’t see is the green roof that caps the sleek structure.