Architecture for Humanity New York and its studio are putting out a call to all artists, painters, designers, muralists and creative people alike to create a unique two-dimensional piece of artwork to be painted on a high-visibility, paved slope in conjunction with the ARTfarm installation. ARTfarm is an installation that enhances the look and feel of a step street at 180 E. 165th Street and Carroll Place in the Bronx.
The project was conceived and built by Architecture for Humanity New York’s Studio in partnership with the Bronx Museum of the Arts and the New York City Department of Transportation; it is part of the DOT Urban Art Program.
Create a visually inspiring mural that references the context of the ARTfarm project and the surrounding community.
• Two-dimensional artwork
• 30’ w X 14.5' h, on a curved concrete slope
• Use commonly found exterior-grade paint colors
• Submission via PDF format using the provided template, including a brief description (<300 words) of design process
We ask each artist to create a sketch of the mural in their preferred original media for juried selection. Final installation will be exterior paint on concrete.
• Use the provided 11” x 14” electronic template to submit design and description
• Original work should be scanned or created at high resolution for digital display
• PDF file, no larger than 2 MB, named: ConcreteCanvas_YOURNAME
• Submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The jury will be composed of respected figures in the fields of architecture, landscape, and graphic design as well as representatives from the Bronx Museum of the Arts, the New York City Department of Transportation and the coordinators of AFHny Studio. Judges will evaluate designs based on:
• Creativity & graphic style
• Contextual relevance and process
• Grand Prize: Installation onto the concrete slope of ARTfarm, feature on the Bronx Museum website, the Open Architecture Network and AFHny Studio blog
• Top 15 Entries: Digitally showcased in the Bronx Museum and featured on postcards and other promotional merchandise
Required fee: $15 via afhny.org/donate
Please note 'NY-ConcreteCanvas-YOURNAME' in the description
Submissions must be received by 5.00PM EST, Friday, March 25th, 2011 for consideration. Judging will take place the week of March 28st, and a winner will be announced via e-mail on April 1st. Installation to occur by the artist, with the help of AFHny volunteers, by April 30th.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Questions may be directed to: email@example.com
ARTfarm is located on 180 E 165th Street, bet. Grand Concourse and Sheridan Avenue, Bronx. We encourage all applicants to visit the AFHny Studio site for more pictures and history of the project.